Expand your knowledge of Asterisk.
The Asterisk Advanced course is a nine half-day hands-on course which covers the knowledge and skills that an advanced Asterisk administrator should know to be effective at his or her job. It i s a combination of both lectures and labs designed to give the students both the theory behind the concepts and the hands-on experience to be able to effectively deploy Asterisk-based solutions.
Students will learn to create advanced dial plans and create innovative telephony solutions by using the features of Asterisk. Along the way, students will also get important insight into Voice over IP, and how to design robust VoIP networks. Students will also explore connecting Asterisk to a variety of devices, including analog phones and phone lines, digital phone lines, and VoIP providers.
The Asterisk Advanced course is designed to prepare Linux/Unix consultants, interconnect vendors, enterprise IT personnel , and ITSP/telco systems administrators to install, configure, mana ge and troubleshoot Asterisk-based VoIP systems. Items covered in the course include:
- Asterisk dialplan syntax and constructs, including auto-attendants and simple IVR system
- Effective use of Asterisk features, such as call parking, audio conferencing, find-me follow-me, and music on hold.
- Call monitoring and recording
- Theory of Analog telephony, and how to connect Asterisk to the PSTN
- Digital telephony using T1s and E1s
- VoIP fundamentals and fundamental network concepts
- SIP and IAX protocols
- Connecting Asterisk to a VoIP provider
- Configuring Asterisk to save Call Detail Records
- Call queues and ACD with Asterisk
- Call routing using DUNDi
- Using the Asterisk Manager Interface to control Asterisk from an external program
- Connecting Asterisk to a relational database such as MySQL
- Troubleshooting your Asterisk system
- Speech recognition with Asterisk and LumenVox
… and many more!
Class Materials and Cool Stuff (optional)
Each attendee will receive the following for the course:
- Digium TDM411B Analog card (1 FXO port + 1 FXS port)
- Digium TE122P T1/E1/J1 card
- Polycom SoundPoint® IP 330 SIP Phone
- Training Courseware
- Asterisk Computer Laptop Backpack
- Asterisk T-shirt
- Mouse Pad
- Uniball Digium Pen
- Have installed and worked in a Linux environment.
- Know how to manipulate files and perform basic administrative tasks from the command line.
- Know how to use a text editor to modify configuration files.
- Have installed Asterisk and DAHDI from source.
- Know where Asterisk configs are located, and how to read and use sample config files.
- Know the general format/syntax of the Asterisk dialplan and the basic dialplan appliactions.
- Asterisk CLI: Know how to connect to remote Asterisk sessions and administer them using basic CLI commands.
- Know how to register and use VoIP devices (phones) and providers with Asterisk.
- Have general knowledge of VoIP protocols, especially SIP and IAX including generally how they work what ports they use.
- Programming and scripting experience: Have some familiarity with programming and scripting languages such as C, C++, Bash, Perl, etc.
What makes this class unique? Is it different than the Asterisk Bootcamp class?
While teaching the ever-popular Asterisk Bootcamp classes over the past several years, we’ve found that our students fall into two groups — those who think the Bootcamp was too advanced, and those who think it wasn’t advanced enough. To better address the needs of our students, we’ve created the Asterisk Advanced course for those people who already have a fundamental knowledge of Asterisk and want to take their skillset to the next level. While some of the material overlaps with the Bootcamp class, this course has been fundamentally designed to address more advanced topics than were possible in the Asterisk Bootcamp course, given the breadth of its scope.
The dCAP program is offered at the end of the Asterisk Bootcamp or Asterisk Advanced training course or can be taken separately. Please note that taking the Bootcamp or Advanced course does not guarantee that you will pass the dCAP exam.